Theatre Makers is distributing this casting notice to established and aspiring actors, as well as crew.
Play: “20/20” by Kari Barclay and Stardust Doherty
Synopsis: It’s 2020. The President has been re-elected, the climate is heating up, the economy in meltdown. In this satirical participatory performance, audience members choose the scenarios to stage: impeachment? a coup? a revolution? “20/20” asks what people power looks like in a time of vast uncertainty when even choosing to do nothing has consequences.
Director: Stardust Doherty
- Anna, a young-to-middle-aged female, not Latino, anarchist who is in love with Francisco
- Francisco, a young-to-middle-aged Latino male, socialist who is in love with Anna
- Ellis, a young-to-middle-aged non-binary person of color, who is clever and a bit mysterious
- President, an elderly orange-haired white guy, who is foolish and dangerous
- Many, including TV New Hosts (speaking various languages), Master of Ceremonies, Republican and Democrat Representatives and Senators, Sarah Palin, Jeff Zuckergates and Assistant, Octavia, Students, Secret Service Goons, Protestors, Soldiers, and Sign Language Interpreters (ASL), of various genders, races/ethnicities, ages, etc.
- Stage Manager, Tech Director, Set Designer, Prop Designer, Costume Designer, Marketing Manager, Logistics Manager, Graphic Designer, Painters, Builders, Makers, Movers, Shakers
Compensation: Probably not (We would love to pay artists living wages, but we are an entirely unpaid company, unless we receive grants or other contributions… we are all working for social justice!)
Performances: at least four, as part of the San Francisco Fringe Festival at the EXIT Theatre, 156 Eddy St, San Francisco
- 6pm-8pm on Saturday, September 7, 2019
- 1:30pm-3:30pm on Sunday, September 8, 2019
- 8pm-10pm on Thursday, September 11, 2019
- 4:30pm-6:30pm on Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Additional performances possible at other venues, depending on audience demand
Rehearsals: to be finalized with input from cast and crew, but perhaps something like twice weekly from July 9 to September 6, 2019, in San Francisco
- 7pm-10pm Tuesdays, and
- 3pm-7pm Saturdays
- Plus one tech rehearsal September 1-4 at the EXIT Theatre, 156 Eddy St, San Francisco
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with name, preferred role, gender, race/ethnicity, age, acting experience, memorization ability level, and availability for performance, rehearsal, and audition dates/times.
- Appointment Deadline: Tuesday, May 28
- Script Excerpts Distributed: Tuesday, May 28 (by email, some memorization required)
- Appointments Available: Friday, May 31
- Appointments Available: Saturday, June 1
- And other times by appointment
Show Website: http://ritualart.org/2020/
Tickets: $13 in person ($15.99 online tickets at https://20-20.brownpapertickets.com). Advanced purchase recommended due to limited seating.
Box Office: 415-673-3847 (for show information)
Company: Theatre Makers provides a common ground for those interested in dramatic and musical theatre, professional and amateur theater, commercial and non-profit theatre, including non-traditional theatrical events (performance art, pop-up theater, home theater, street theater, puppet shows, etc.) with activities including, for example:
- Discussions of all aspects of theatre creation and production
- Exchanging information on opportunities available
- Collaboration on incubating audience participatory plays and musicals based on social, political, economic, and environmental change (SPEEC) themes
- Workshops of plays and musicals under development
- Readings and staged readings of plays and musicals for educational and motivational purposes
This group particularly fosters events that are inclusive and affirming of people based on class, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, age, and other identities.
Company Website: http://ritualart.org/theatremakers/
Please share this casting notice with anyone who might be interested.