Theatre Makers is distributing this casting notice to established and aspiring actors, as well as crew.
Play: “20/20” by Kari Barclay and Stardust Doherty
Synopsis: It’s 2020. The President has been re-elected, the climate is heating up, the economy in meltdown. In this satirical participatory performance, audience members choose the scenarios to stage: impeachment? a coup? a revolution? “20/20” asks what people power looks like in a time of vast uncertainty when even choosing to do nothing has consequences.
Artistic Director: Stardust Doherty
Stage Manager: Paul Seliga
- Anna, a young-to-middle-aged female anarchist who is in love with Soshe
- Soshe, a young-to-middle-aged male socialist who is in love with Anna
- Ellis, a young-to-middle-aged non-binary person who is clever and a bit mysterious
- President, an elderly orange-haired guy, who is foolish and dangerous
- Master of Ceremonies who introduces the play and coordinates voting on scenarios
- Ensemble in a variety of fun roles, including TV New Hosts (speaking various languages), Republican and Democrat Representatives and Senators, Sarah Palin, Jeff Zuckergates and Assistant, Octavia, Students, Secret Service Goons, Protestors, and Soldiers!
- Stage Manager, Tech Director, Prop Master, Wardrobe Master, Marketing & Social Media Manager, Logistics Manager, Fundraising Manager, Sign Language Interpreters (ASL), Videographer
Compensation: Expense reimbursement depends on fundraising ($100 minimum) (We would love to pay artists better living wages, but we are a very small nonprofit company — unless we receive grants or other contributions — all volunteers working for social justice!)
Performances: three free performances as part of the 20/20 San Francisco Public Library Tour:
- 9:00am-6:00pm on February 29, 2020
- 1:00pm-5:00pm on March 1, 2020
Rehearsals: to be finalized with input from cast and crew starting January 16, 2020, in San Francisco
Auditions in San Francisco:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with name, preferred role(s), gender identity, race/ethnicity, age, acting experience, memorization ability level, and availability for performance, rehearsal, and audition dates/times.
- Appointment Deadline: Extended (was Wednesday, January 8)
- Script Excerpts Distributed: Extended (was Wednesday, January 8) (by email, some memorization required)
- Appointments Available: evenings of Monday, January 13 and Wednesday, January 15 (was Saturday, January 11 from 11:00am to 7:00pm) (half-hour appointment)
- And possibly other times by appointment
Show Website: http://ritualart.org/2020/
Company: Theatre Makers provides a common ground for those interested in dramatic and musical theatre, professional and amateur theater, commercial and non-profit theatre, including non-traditional theatrical events (performance art, pop-up theater, home theater, street theater, puppet shows, etc.) with activities including, for example:
- Discussions of all aspects of theatre creation and production
- Exchanging information on opportunities available
- Collaboration on incubating audience participatory plays and musicals based on social, political, economic, and environmental change (SPEEC) themes
- Workshops of plays and musicals under development
- Readings and staged readings of plays and musicals for educational and motivational purposes
This group particularly fosters events that are inclusive and affirming of people based on class, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, age, and other identities.
Company Website: http://ritualart.org/theatremakers/
Please share this casting notice with anyone who might be interested.